There’s a new feature to this blog! If you look into the lower right corner of your browser you’ll see a “follow” button (provided you activated java script in your browser). Click it and leave your mail address. You’ll be updated whenever there’s a new post.
Let me tell you I am very busy at the moment although I am sometimes not quite sure what I’m doing :)
As always I am trying to make [Diskokugel] happen and I am confident that I will finish it this year. Seriously, I need this off the table. I’ve ordered new [pcbs] (keep you fingers crossed) and am in the process of preparing 200 connector cables to mount the speakers. I am also preparing another [Quäkmonster] workshop, this time at [c-base] on May 11th. 21 aka [picture that sound] will be on display for 96 proposals at the [Marburger Kunstverein] until May 30st. I am also teaming up with two other Felixes to get an electronic prototyping and production business running.
So much for news. While I let you wait for results let me share with you what keeps me entertained. During concentrated work [Solitude] keeps me focused, especially with his ambient dubstep mix vol. 17. Looking for heroes of my past I stumbled over a mix from The Panacea featuring oldschool jungle galore. Also on heavy rotation is [The Nextmens] album “Join the Dots” albeit it is hard to get (only on amazon with their proprietary downloader – WTF?).
To motivate myself (and to keep you entertained) I’ll show you some pictures of the recent progress.
With my bold head glittering from cold sweat I took a soldering iron and separated my nice round [Kugel wireframe] into segments again. Luckily that went well, if I ignore that I had to buy a new power iron because the old one broke for no apparent reason(it was exactly one! day over its warranty). To those elements I attached my freshly cut [mirror balls]. I also took the [useless PCBs] as dummies and attached the to the icosahedron inside. I then tried to figure out a pattern how to attach the speakers to the PCBs inside, which was a bit tricky because the cables wont be distributed evenly.
Anyway: having a party in our place there was a need to clean up and make things look good. As it turns out, putting a light inside the existing object makes it quite flahy. But see for yourself…
I made a video of my beta version of a controller. Check out the full article here
Mixer 0.1 is my first approach to building a compact universal controller for music programs. It features 5 “channels”, each with one slider, 5 knobs, one button with LED attached and a vu meter. It’s all made to fit on a standard EU pcb of 16x10cm.
More pictures and video on the bottom of this article!
Kicad schematic of the beta and the Arduino patch can be downloaded [here]
Pushing the [Diskokugel] forward, I cut 120 christmas balls in half to serve as bodies for the speakers. It took quite some time, but they make for some nice self portraits :)
I used the time around christmas to build a little workshop into my 3sqm closet. I used the parts of the wardrobe that stood in there to build a rack and a workbench.
No more drilling into my desk :)
Well, here’s for a happy new year: for christmas I ordered myself a series of pcbs to finally get the [Diskokugel] running. After spending 5 hours getting the goods out of customs I had to realize that the pcbs have no solder pads. Instead, they’re coated in paint entirely. I tried to get the paint off with acetone and a steel brush, but there’s no way I can use these…
I wish you all more luck in the new year ;)
A dear friend of mine passed away yesterday. He was there whenever I needed him, always helping out when things needed fixing. Steinel glue gun died in service, choking on its own output. Apparently the glue hardened in the extended glue tip I used and I applied too much pressure on the glue feed, which made the glue search for another way out.
Steinel Gluematic 3002 will be missed (at least until my Reichelt order arrives with a substitute).
Etching your own two sided boards is quite a hassle. Apart from getting your foil print right, having both sides in line and doing all the drilling, I found making vias with wires quite tiresome. The wires tend to leave the holes again whenever you try to solder something surrounding them. Especially when working with fine tracks (which is mostly the case with me, nowadays) this can be very annoying.
Luckly I found a forum where someone recommended to use small copper rivets for this. These rivets are only 0.6mm in diameter. Getting them into the holes is a bit tricky, but the its easy to open the other side with a small chisel. There exists, of course, also a special press for this, but the mindset of someone who actually will pay € 160,- for such a thing will forever remain unknown territory to me…